5/2/08

Foodie

I'll admit it. I'll try anything once in the kitchen. Like today, I made my own butter. For no good reason other than it looked easy (it was) and why not? When I tell people what I do in the kitchen (make my own yogurt, bake my own bread) most people give me the WTF look and slowly edge away. Why is it that people are so removed from their food? My sister asked my why I would make butter when I could just buy it. But butter you buy from the store is pumped full of growth hormones and other additives. Butter I make for myself is basically just whipping cream shaken until it separates into butter. I like knowing where everything I eat comes from and I try to buy local as much as possible. There is nothing more satisfying than buying your produce from the farmer down the road because you know 100% of that sale goes to the farmer. Is anyone else out there a foodie? Or am I alone in this wish for a simpler kitchen life, when nothing was packaged up.

1 comment:

  1. i agree completely! hubby and i have almost nothing processed in our house, meals are always made fresh and nothing beats the smell of freshly baked bread and other goodies!!

    ReplyDelete